The Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation is pleased to announce that, at its annual meeting in July 2013, it appointed three new directors to its board. With the board being represented by top business professionals and orthopaedic surgeons, the addition of these three members rounds out the organization’s expertise and national representation. New directors include:
- Dr. Etienne Belzile – Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hotel Dieu, Quebec City
- Dr. Pierre Guy – Orthopaedic Surgeon, Diamond Healthcare Centre, Vancouver
- Dr. Geoffrey Johnston – Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal University Hospital, Saskatoon
Board chair Dr. James P. Waddell notes, “I am very pleased to welcome Drs. Johnston, Belzile and Guy to our Board. They each bring a tremendous wealth of experience to the organization which will greatly benefit us as we move forward with our focus on helping Canadians via continued research and patient education.”
In addition, the Foundation expresses gratitude to past-director, Ms. Sandra Vlaar-Ingram, who served on the Board for seven years. Ms. Vlaar-Ingram’s valued contributions to the organization have been greatly appreciated.
As the organization continues with implementation of its 2013-2014 Strategic Plan, the new directors compliment the strong suite of directors currently servicing the board.
Continuing Board members include:
- Dr. James Waddell, Chairman – Orthopaedic Surgeon, St. Michaels Hospital, Toronto
- Mr. James Hall – Vice President Sales and Marketing, Astellas Pharma Canada, Inc., Markham
- Mr. Patrick Lafferty, Treasurer – Chartered Accountant, Ottawa
- Mr. Peter Cathcart – Lawyer, McMillan, Toronto
- Dr. Chad Coles – Orthopaedic Surgeon, QE II Sciences Centre, Halifax
- Dr. William Dust – Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal University Hospital, Saskatoon
- Dr. Erin Boynton – Orthopaedic Surgeon, Toronto
- Dr. Cyril Frank, Orthopaedic Surgeon, University of Calgary, Calgary
- Ms. Whitney Hammond – Proprietor, Sovereign Wealth Management, Burlington
- Mr. Harvey Shapiro – Lawyer and Business Professional, Toronto
- Dr. Stewart Wright – Orthopaedic Surgeon, Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre, Toronto
The Foundation recognizes the longstanding Honorary Members whose terms have come to a close including Dr. Franklin Sim, Dr. Paul Wright, and Mr. Gary Mooney. These Members have brought valuable contributions over the years and have made meaningful impact to the delivery of the organization’s mission.
Board member bios are available on the Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation website at http://www.canorth.org/.
About the Canadian Orthopaedic FoundationFounded in 1965, the Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation works in the interests of orthopaedic patients, for the professionals who treat them, and for the future Canadians who may require orthopaedic surgical care. It delivers upon the organizational mission by supporting research activities and surgeon scholarship funds. By providing patient educational resources and support by phone, in print and on-line, the Foundation strives to help Canadians become knowledgeable, active participants in their surgical treatment and return to mobility.
For more information, please contact:
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation
Tel: 1-800-461-3639 ext. 5